Women’s Groupof Northwestern APPROVED MEDICATION LIST FOR OBSTETRICAL PATIENTS HEADACHE
• Tylenol 8 Hour Extended Relief Caplets
Directions: Do not take more than directed (see overdose warning). Take 2 caplets every 8 hours
with water. Swallow whole – do not crush, chew or dissolve. Do not take more than 6 caplets
in 24 hours. Do not use for more than 10 days.
• Tylenol Extra Strength Tablets, Pain Reliever & Fever Reducer Directions: Take 2 tablets every 4-6 hours as needed. Do not take more than 8 tablets in 24
ABSOLUTELY NO ASPIRIN, ADVILOR ALLEVE DURING PREGNANCY.
Directions: Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride (60 mg), Take every 4-6 hours and do not take more than 4
• Benadryl Allergy Relief Directions: Take 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours. Do not take more than 6 doses in 24 hours.
UPPER RESPIRATORY SYMPTOMS
• Actifed Cold & Allergy Tablets
Directions: Take 1 tablet every 4-6 hours and do not take more than 4 doses in 24 hours.
• Actifed Maximum Strength Cold & Sinus Capsules Directions: Take 2 caplets. Dosage may be repeated every 6 hours while symptoms persist, not to
• Robitussin Expectorant Syrup
Directions: Take 2-4 teaspoonfuls every 4 hours. Do not take more than 4 doses in any 24 hour period.
• Robitussin PE Syrup
Directions: Take 2 teaspoonfuls every 4 hours. Do not take more than 4 doses in any 24 hour period.
• Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Sinus Medicine, Non-Drowsy Effervescent Tablets Directions: Take 2 tables fully dissolved in 4 oz of water every 4 hours. Do not exceed 8 tablets in 24 hours.
• Tylenol Flu Maximum Strength, Non-Drowsy Directions: Take 2 gelcaps every 6 hours. Do not take more than 8 gelcaps in 24 hours.
• Tylenol Flu Maximum Strength Night Directions: Take 2 gelcaps at bedtime. May repeat every 6 hours. Do not take more then 8 gelcaps in . 24 hours. INHALERS/ASTHMA
• The following medications are approved to take during pregnancy, please take as directed by your prescribing
physician Albuterol, Beclomethasone, Proventil, Singulair, Theophyline, Theodor, Ventolin.
• Mylanta Antacid Liquid Directions: Shake well. Take 2-4 teaspoonfuls between meals, at bedtime or as directed by a physician.
Do not take more than 24 teaspoonfuls in a 24-hour period, or use the maximum dosage for more than 2 weeks.
• Tums Chewable Tablets ( Antacid ) Directions: Antacid: Chew 2-3 tablets as symptoms occur. Repeat hourly if symptoms return.
• Phazyme or Gax-X Directions: Chew or swallow 1 or 2 tablets thoroughly as needed after a meal. Do not exceed 4 tablets Per day. SEVERE GI UPSET (Zantac or Pepcid Ac are histamine blockers and work by decreasing the amount of acid the stomach produces).
• Zantac 150 tabs Max Strength Directions: To relieve symptoms, swallow 1 tablet with a glass of water, to prevent symptoms, swallow 1 tablet with a glass of water 30 to 60 minutes before eating food or drinking beverages that cause heartburn, can be used up to twice daily (do no take more than 2 tablets in 24 hours).
• Pepcid Ac Directions: To Relieve symptoms, swallow 1 gelcap with a glass of water. To prevent symptoms swallow 1 gelcap with a glass of water at any time from 15 to 60 minutes before eating food or drinking
beverages that cause heartburn. Do not use more than 2 gelcaps in 24 hours. NAUSEA AND VOMITTING Over the counter Emetrol, ginger lozenges (can be purchased at the health food stores), Sea Bands
• Emetrol Liquid Cherry Directions: Administer one or two tablespoons every 15 minutes or until distress subsides.
• Sea Band Motion Sickness Bands Indications: The Sea-Band has been clinically tested against nausea vomiting in travel, pregnancy, anaesthesia, chemotherapy and all conditions which include nausea. Directions: Simple to use, the Sea-Band does not need specialist handling. Care should be taken however to
Position the bands according to the instructions provided with the product. They become effective Within 5 minutes even if nausea has already started. They can be worn continuously. CONSTIPATION
• Fibercon Caplets Directions: FIBERCON acts like natural fiber so continued use for 1 to 3 days is normally required to provide full benefits. FIBERCON dosage may vary according to diet, exercise previous laxative use or
severity constipation. Take 2 caplets once a day (daily maximum up to 4 times a day).
• Benefiber Fiber Supplement Directions: Stir 1 tablespoon (tbsp) of Benefiber into at least 4 oz. of any beverage or soft food (hot or cold). Use 8oz. if using 2 tbsp. Stir until dissolved. 1-2 tbsp up to 3 times daily.
• Phillips Milk of Magnesia Directions: Shake well before using. FOR LAXATIVE USE 2-4 tablespoonful (tbsp) at bedtime or upon arising, followed by a full (8oz) of liquid.
• Citrucel Clear Mix Fiber Laxative Directions: Dissolve 1 leveled scoop in 8 oz. of any cold non-carbonated beverage of your choice, up to 3 times daily at the first sign of constipation or irregularity. Use enclosed clear scoop. Generally produces effect in 12-72 hours.
VAGINAL YEAST INFECTIONS
Over the counter Monistat can be used. If symptoms persist or worsen, call for an appointment.
• Monistat-7 or Monistat 3 Directions: Applicator-Insert 1applicatorful into the vagina at bedtime for 7 nights in a row. External Cream- squeeze a small amount of cream onto your fingertip. Gently apply the cream onto the itchy,
irritated skin outside the vagina. Use daily for up to 7 days as needed.
• Vagisil Anti-Itch Crème Directions: Apply a fingertip amount (approximately 1-inch strip) to affected area not more than 3 to 4 times daily.
• Anusol Directions: When practical cleanse the affected area with mild soap and warm water and rinse thoroughly. Gently dry by patting or blotting with toilet tissue or a soft cloth before applying this product. Anusol Ointment is to be applied externally or in the lower portion of the anal canal up to 5 times daily.
• Preparation H Cream Directions: When practical cleanse the affected area with mild soap and warm water and rinse thoroughly. Gently dry by patting or blotting with toilet tissue or a soft cloth before applying this product.
Apply externally or in the lower portion of the anal canal only. Apply externally to the effected area up to 4 times daily, especially at night, in the morning or after each bowel movement.
• Tucks Hemorroidal Pads with Witch Hazel Directions: When practical cleanse the affected area with mild soap and warm water and rinse thoroughly. Gently dry by patting or blotting with toilet tissue or a soft cloth before applying this product. Apply to the affected area by patting and then discard. Can be used up to 6 times daily or after each bowel movement.
SMALL RASHES OR ITCHING
• Benadryl cream or tablets, 1% Hydrocortisone cream, Calamine lotion, and Aveeno Oatmeal bath.
LEG CRAMPS Calcium 500 mg at bedtime ,1/2 banana per day (potassium) ANTIBIOTICS
• The following medications have been approved to take during pregnancy, please take as directed by your
Acyclovir ( Zovirax ) in the last month, Ampicillin, Amoxicillin, Erythromycin, Keflex, Cephalosporins, Metronidazole ( After 1st trimester), Zithromax
We limit the use of most herbal remedies in pregnancy. Please notify us regarding any herbal remedies you are considering using. High dose vitamin supplementation is not recommended in pregnancy and can be harmful to your baby.
Brain and Spinal Tumors The Neurospinal and Cancer Research Institute combines multidisciplinary clinical care and a strong research program in an effort to facilitate rapid transfer of basic scientific findings into clinical protocols for patients with tumors of the brain, skull base and spine. The Institute has innovative clinical initiatives organized under the auspices of thethe NCRI P
United and closer than ever before Maronite and Orthodox Chris tians with th e p opulation: the view of A rchbisho p S oueif The shockin g news f or Cypriots arrived only a few days ago, when the Eurogroup announced its intention to tax bank deposits on the island to hand le the economic-f inancial emergenc y in Cypru s. Th e P arliament in Nicosia immediately voiced its oppositio n a